Sunday 12 November 2017

In The Multitude Of Words

Devotion for Monday November 13, 2017
Topic: In The Multitude Of Words
Text: Proverbs 10:19
Job 6:24 says, “Teach me and I will hold my tongue; cause me to understand wherein I have erred.” The greatest virtue someone can develop in life is the ability to tame his or her tongue. James gave reason for this in James 3:5 – 12.
Our text admonishes us on the importance of governing our tongue which should be our duty for these reasons.
1) It is good to say little, because in the multitude of words, sin doesn’t cease. Usually, those that speak much, speak much idle words which they must shortly give account of (Mathew 12:36).
2). It is therefore good to keep our mouth as with a bridle. See Amos 5:13 and James 1:19. Do you have control over your tongue? James 1:26 says, “If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one’s religion is useless.”
The way you talk in the public goes a long way to show the kind of Christian you are. Peter sagely said, “For he who would love life and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips from speaking deceit” – 1 Peter 3:10. This is a challenge for us. Many people ridicule their faith by what they say with their mouth. A true Christian chooses his or her words before speaking and not the opposite. Be wise as your faith demands. Have a great day!
Food for Thought: James 1:26
Memory verse: Proverbs 10:19
Prayer: Almighty God, grant me the grace to bridle my tongue and to choose my words before I speak so that I will not say idle words.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Awake From Sleep: Devotion for Friday October 9, 2020

MY DAILY COVENANT WITH GOD DEVOTIONAL Devotion for Friday October 9, 2020 Topic: Awake From Sleep                                Text...